Saturday, August 2, 2014

Skye Walkers


               Highland cattle.  I don't know what it is about them.  They're just so amusing.
    Friday was a hiking day.  On Skye, we stayed on a working farm.  There were cows (not this one), sheep, and sheepdogs.  I had my own little loft at the B&B.
                                                    It was cheerier than it looks.
    Our first hike was very short.  It was out to Duntelm Castle, on the edge of a rocky bluff.  Unfortunately, there was no information on who had lived there, and when.  But even if there had been, I doubt we would have gotten to read much of it.  About ten minutes in to our visit (maybe less), the skies opened up, and we had to make a dash for the car.  We got soaked anyway.
    After waiting out the downpour, we proceeded to Rubha Hunish.  I think I spelled that right.  At least the last part.  The clouds held off while we took our hike, up to some nice overlooks.  That's where we saw that cow.
    After a quick snacky lunch in the boot of the car, we decided to take the inland road back to Uig (ooh-ig), a town not far from where we were staying.  Impulsively, we decided to take another hike, this one called Bioda Buibhe (you'll have to look up the pronunciation yourself).  It was pretty steep, and very boggy, but the view at the end was worth it.
    That evening we dined in Uig, on the ferry pier.  The rest of the day was uneventful.

1 comment: